(RoyalPatriot.com )- Donald Trump is taking a new fight to big tech companies.
On Wednesday, the former president announced he will sue Facebook, Google and Twitter over censorship. Those three tech companies removed Trump from their platforms following the attack on the U.S. Capitol building on January 6.
It’s a class-action lawsuit that Trump will be filing, with himself as the plaintiff. His main claim is that the companies have been censoring him.
Talking about the lawsuit this week, Trump said:
“I stand before you this morning to announce a very important … development for our freedom and freedom of speech. In conjunction with the America First Policy Institute, I’m filing, as the lead class-action representative, a major class-action lawsuit against the big tech giants, including Facebook, Google and Twitter, as well as their CEOs.
“There is no better evidence that big tech is out of control than the fact that they banned the sitting president of the United States earlier this year. If they can do it to me, they can do it to anyone.”
Following all three companies banning Trump, the calls by conservatives were that the companies were just expressing their liberal agendas. Trump wasn’t the only conservative who has been silenced by these companies, either.
The lawsuit that is going to be filed with the Southern District of Florida will seek “injunctive relief” against “shameful censorship of the American people.”
Trump filed three different complaints in federal court, one against each of the companies. The target of the lawsuits will be how these big tech companies have overstepped their bounds as traditional private companies.
“While the social media companies are officially private entities, in recent years they have ceased to be private with the enactment and their historical use of Section 230, which profoundly protects them from liability. It is in effect a massive government subsidy, these companies have been co-opted, coerced and weaponized by government actors to become the enforcers of illegal, unconstitutional censorship.”
A day after Trump announced the lawsuits, Mark Meckler, the former interim CEO of alternative social media channel Parler, said the lawsuits “could break new ground.”
Meckler told Fox & Friends that he agrees with the former president in “that the existing law says that the First Amendment protections do not apply in censorship by private companies.”
He said that these large-scale social media companies “act as essentially a state actor when they censor people.”
Since they have final say over what goes on with their platforms, and have exemptions in the law from it, they essentially have similar powers to the government itself. He continued:
“And so theoretically, you could apply what we call the ‘state actor theory’ to them and impose First Amendment restrictions … It’s a developing area of the law and it is possible that this [lawsuit] could break new ground.”